Do FREE books help sell your backlist?
Erotic Romance Author Cerise Deland talks Strategy!
Do Free books help sell your backlist?
Some say yes, FREE helps to sell more books, especially ones in a series or backlist. But I am here today to discuss how any author decides what to do for any PR promotion, using in particular this strategy for me with my nearly one year old Regency erotic romance, LADY STARLING’S STOCKINGS.
How did I decide to make her FREE?
This was my strategy:
Five days ago, I put my self-pubbed Regency erotica romantic suspense, LADY STARLING'S STOCKINGS up for Free on all vendor sites everywhere. In that period, it has gone from way down in the #s to a fantastic (as of Thursday morning at 7 a.m.) #15 on their Free erotic list.
What do you need to know about LADY S. to understand my delight with this?
1. She debuted almost a year ago.
2. She had good strong sales but they dwindled down. (I have more than recouped my investment in her.)
3. She is a stand alone book, but...
4. She has 5 "sisters", i.e., Regency erotic romances out there that sell steadily well AND have gotten consistent 5 star reviews from readers and reviewers alike. And incidentally have remained on that publisher's Top Ten Best list for over one entire year!
5. She had advertising by me such as book covers, etc. on various sites.
6. She has a dynamite cover that I paid GOOD STRONG BUCKS for, because I wanted the best in graphic design. Please do go look at her. This is a Jimmy Thomas pic that my designer worked with to remove all her clothes...except for her lovely stockings (which of course are part of the plot and an element that speaks to her character).
7. My goals to make her FREE?
· To gain the market share of Regency readers I felt I had not totally reached. (So much to choose from as a reader.)
· To increase my name recognition among my Regency readers as well as my historical readers. (I have medievals as well and will soon begin a historical series for EC.)
· To increase my name recognition among all erotica readers.
Am I happy so far?
Moral of story:
Going Free, like any other tactic to raise your name recognition, brand or
sales, is a useful tool.
As one author friend of mine often says, Your Mileage May Vary.
BUT if you know what you do, why you do it and what you want, you may be able to measure your "success" and you may make yourself happy.
Please do admire the cover! Dreamy, oui?
Jimmy Thomas, reinterpreted by my fabulous graphic designer. YUM.
Please go here to get her and keep her on the best-download FREE list! THANKS. http://tinyurl.com/83hlkgp